Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Educational Concerns for Hunger Organization

I liked going to ECHO, but I was also a little disappointed by it as well.  I think I was expecting a more efficient farming set up, and I noticed that there doesn't seem to be much measurable product coming out of ECHO.  I understand that their goal is to help support people in developing countries by showing them how to work with the environment to support themselves, but there are people in Southwest Florida that have problems and could benefit from working with ECHO.  I'm not sure about their public relations in the area, but I think that most people who haven't been in a Colloquium class know very little about ECHO.

I did like how their farm was laid out though.  Instead of the more traditional American farming row crops, they work with the land and practice techniques that are less invasive.  I think they are doing relevant work for the developing world, but it's a little disappointing that they aren't doing more to change views and practices a little closer to home as well.

I don't think I would be personally very excited about working with ECHO for my service learning.  I already have an organization that I enjoy working with anyway, but I don't think that I'm the right kind of person to be volunteering with them.  I would love to have a small tire planter, or to grow sweet potatoes or bananas or citrus at my home.  That said though, I don't feel that I'm passionate enough about alternative farming, or at least about working with ECHO for it.  I would be more interested in making alternative farming or local produce more available in our own community then in bringing it to places around the world.  I appreciate the work they do, especially if they are helping people who really need it, but I don't think I would fit with their philosophy.

No comments:

Post a Comment